Erin Stewart Shakes Up Gov Race, Becomes 1st GOP Candidate to Announce Running MateApril 24, 2018
The young New Britain mayor picked another municipal leader to form the GOP's first ticket, weeks ahead of the state GOP convention.
Mayor Erin Stewart (R-New Britain) gave her gubernatorial campaign, and the overall field, a jolt on Tuesday with her announcement that First Selectman Peter J. Tesei (R-Greenwich) will be her running mate.
“I am proud to partner with Peter and bring his many years of experience in government to our campaign,” said Stewart. “Connecticut needs a committed team who complement each other and will work tirelessly on behalf of the people of Connecticut.”
Stewart’s announcement means the large GOP gubernatorial field has its first official ticket, of gubernatorial and lieutenant gubernatorial candidates.
The New Britain mayor had teased her campaign’s announcement with a media advisory on Monday afternoon, previewing events in Hartford and Greenwich.
Tesei brings a few things to Stewart’s campaign, some obvious and some more subtle:
- A running mate with executive experience; Tesei has served more than five terms as Greenwich’s leader
- A running mate with business experience; according to the Stewart campaign, “Tesei worked in the financial services sector for close to 20 years”
- A connection to Fairfield County; Stewart’s New Britain is in Hartford County
- By virtue of Tesei’s standing as leader of Greenwich, Stewart will no doubt enjoy better access to some of the donor networks that pervade that part of Fairfield County
- The announcement should also put to bed chatter that Stewart would drop her candidacy at some point, or slot down to a lower statewide race
With the convention mere weeks away, it appears Stewart is looking to give delegates something new to support.
Want to see more content like this?
Sign up for Email updates.